Sunday, November 16, 2014

Movie Making Mishaps

The last week has been dedicated to creating my research video, and I, once again, I'm using a type of software that I've never been exposed to previously. A friend showed me how to use Movie Maker very quickly--not nearly long enough for me to actually make a full video--but certainly a start.

 Definitely never thought that this sight would not scare me.

As I worked through my video creation process, my first failure came in actually trying to save the thing. One of the presumably easiest things to do (at least it is in other programs) was apparently not as user-friendly or intuitive by any stretch of the imagination. There are multiple ways of saving in Movie Maker, and you must be careful to choose the correct one depending on the stage of your movie. If you are completely done with your video, you can save as a movie and it will be done. However, if you are not complete with the editing process, you have to save it as a project. The big difference is that a video saved as a movie will not play through Movie Maker nor will you be able to edit it again. I was unaware of this fact, so I saved it as a movie. Coming back to it the next day, I realized I couldn't edit or even play it through Movie Maker. Fail. Similar to other projects I've done this semester, I had to start over.

Take 2 has been much more successful; however, I have been encountering issues related to pieces of my video changing from what I had initially put in. Part of the video encompasses slides from a PowerPoint converted into .png files. Some of these slides change their order or disappear without my knowing or asking it to do this. Sometimes I really think my digital journey would not be complete without little gremlins messing with my work!

Gizmo represents my digital projects. That gremlin is clearly up to no good.

I feel that my video is currently at the stage where I think it's fully developed and ready for saving it as a movie (that's not a big step, in my mind) except for the narration/voice-over work. I have the script written out and timed to link up with the visuals, so the narration is the final step. Just a point to note, I will definitely be saving the video in both methods just so I can edit it later--I've learned my lesson this semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment