Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Python Bit Me

I've been continuing my work through the Python tutorials, and two things have gotten me pretty perplexed. First, the "pushd" and "popd" thing is still bothering me even though we seemed to disregard the need for it in class last week. I can do it with the tutorial's examples, and I understand how to make a new directory and all that business, but when I attempt to do the "Now You Try" quests, I fall miserably short. Is there something I'm not completely understanding? Can I only push and pop within the same directory? That seems kind of useless when you can just use the cd command with a certain number of "../../" to get you backtracked, but that's what the tutorials seem to imply. I'm so confused.

Second, I am having trouble copying items from one directory and putting them in another. It seems like any time I need to move within two or more directories, my mind (or possibly computer) just can't handle it, and I get error messages. I really hate error messages when I know that what I'm doing should work because the example works. This reminds me of when I took Calculus in high school, and nothing ever seemed to work the way it did in the book. Grr! I'm still stuck on these two parts of Python, so any help you can offer would be useful.

Ok, that's my failure for the week. I don't know that I can call it productive, but that's what I've got to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment