Sunday, August 24, 2014

Going Medieval on the Digital

Throughout the course of my academic career, I've considered myself to be a bit "old school" in the ways I conduct and organize my research, write papers, grade papers, and do homework. I like having a piece of paper in front of me versus a computer, writing out my thoughts and notes rather than typing everything on a computer, relying on my mind to remember which notebook I need over which file to open.  Then, a friend said something to me I never thought would ever be spoken in my direction about me. He said that I was far more digitally literate than I gave myself credit for. In fact, he called me a Digital Humanist!

*cue look of confusion mixed with fright*

However, I've been thinking about it, and I've come to the conclusion that I do use the digital tools I'm given in a useful way that suits my needs as a scholar. I don't have to go scurrying through a card catalog driving myself to the brink of pulling a library ghost from Ghostbusters (if unsure of the image, watch the NY Library scene from Ghostbusters where all the cards come flying out of the card catalog). My Nook has also been very helpful for me when I need to read an article that I haven't had the time (or ink) to actually print.  The 30-page article on the history of chocolate in the New World I read today seemed a breeze as I simply flipped to the next screen. And, I'll admit, it is far easier to write/research/read at home in my pajamas while looking at a computer/tablet/phone screen than coming into school and finding all the necessary equipment to get the job done without digital assistance. Does this make me a Digital Humanist? I have no idea.

I was hesitant to sign up for Dr. Gibbs' Digital Humanities seminar this semester, I must admit. That same friend from earlier claimed I would benefit from it...we'll see. The course number History 666 definitely had a helping "hand" in getting me to hit the register button, but the idea has grown on me. I'm coming into this class fearful and uneasy about much of the syllabus, assignments, and overall digital interaction, but I'm also confidant and hopeful that the coming weeks will be fruitful, albeit frustrating (seeing the requirement of being able to deal with frustration with digital stuff going wonky on the syllabus was pretty frightening), and I might even be able to transfer the things I learn to my own scholarly endeavors working in Medieval Studies.  With that in mind, my battle cry for this semester will be that I'm going medieval on Digital's ass!

Ready for war!

No comments:

Post a Comment